Friday, September 2, 2011

Sunbeam EM6910 - Coffee Machine Review


What I like about this machine:
  • Twin thermoblock & pumps; one for brew & one for steam. This simply means I can extract coffee and texture milk at the same time. In contrast, a single thermoblock machine means that you go through the lenghty wait for the thermoblock to heat up, and having to purge the steam wand to remove water that is trapped inside
  • Well designed - large drip tray, large water tank, generous clearance, low water reminder (light and alarm)
  • Commercial sized portafilter - 59mm basket holds more coffee. It appears to be made out of a brass (or a brass bassed alloy).
  • Single wall baskets - allows you to use fresh coffee for real crema. Most department store machines use dual wall baskets which creates bubbles that looks like crema. 
  • It has a 3 way solenoid that allows the machine to relieve any built up pressure post extraction. This leaves you with a dry puck. It is important that you backflush this machine with proper chemicals once a fortnight to prevent the 3 way valve to clog up.
  • Programmable brew and steam temperature (limited) - great that they provide this feature - but is virtually useless. I suspect feature was added to allow the user to make compensations for poor quality control and inconsistencies between each machine.
Custom Made Naked Portafilter (bottomless)

    What I dont like about this machine:
    • Build quality - the machine is pretty good compared to the offerings at the department store, but is quite cheap compared to the italian machines found in speciality coffee shops
    • Brew Temperature - out of the box, the machine's brew temperature was quite low. This could be a flaw of the thermoblock and the lack of thermal stability. The sunbeam gave me the option to increase the default temperature by 4 degrees (maximum adjustment). Even with this adjustment, I found the water to be below 92 deg. The temperature continued to drop while the machine was extracting.
    • Steam Temperature - same as above, I set the machine to the hottest setting (I think this is supposed to add another 15 deg to the default temperature). Even on the hottest setting, I found it was quite slow to heat up a jug of milk to 65deg. This is quite subjective, and someone with little experience may argue that it heats the too quickly.
    • Steam Wetness - a lot of people reckon the 'driest' setting is the best. I disagree and found that the 'wettest' setting worked best for me. A dry steam is ideal however, for this machine, I found that a 'wetter' steam meant more water was being pumped through the steamer - which meant more steam pressure.
    • Steam Pressure - I feel this machine lacks steam pressure and does not have a consistent delivery. This is probably to do with the fact it is a thermoblock machine with a vibrating pump.
    • Noise - vibrating pump sounds like a jack hammer.




    Summary - this machine will give you good results (provided you know what you're doing) and is ideal for a beginner. An experienced user may find that this machine is not up to par in terms of steamming ability, and extraction performance.

    Maintenance Tip: Use filtered water. Make sure you do a water backflush after each session, and do a chemical backflush every 2~4 weeks (depends on usage). Shower screen and seals should be taken apart and cleaned prior to chemical backflush (shower screen screw does not have to be tight). Do a descale every 6 months. Do not overdose and do not choke the machine - this machine has cheap parts, so you want to do your best to reduce the amount of pressure within the internal pipes and collar.




    3 comments:

    1. Since I bought mine I have never been able to make good coffee like in the videos. It comes out as brown water without that foamy look (crema?). Never made coffee before so I thought I had done something like wrong grind, stale coffee beans, etc. But I have tried everything to no avail.

      One thing I noticed from the start is that the temperature gauge never gets into the red zone - but I assumed this was normal & red was for too hot. Reading your above comments I am thinking now that maybe the water temp. is not hot enough. It also makes very loud noises which I am not sure is normal and the water seems to take longer to come out than in the videos.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hey Andrew, it's not a water temperature gauge. It's the water pressure. The gauge is a bit of a gimmick i reckon. There's heaps of variables but a good place to start is use the double basket and try to extract 30mls in 30 seconds. If it's taking too long to come out (ie more than 45 seconds, then make the grind a bit coarser). Also make sure you're doing correctly. There shoish be a slight imprint of the shower screen and the puck shouldn't look soggy after the extraction .

        Delete
    2. I have noticed that if I make a hot cup of coffee it is common to have kamikaze fruit flies dive bomb into it. I think they can see the heat in the liquid. Once the coffee sits after this occurs I dont ever see any dive bomb into it again... coffee burrs

      ReplyDelete